Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Thinkday – Doing What We Can


If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.” This is probably my favorite quote from my favorite historical figure. It resonates with me on a primal level. I am a firm believer that each person is capable of great things; some squander this potential, while others grasp it with both hands.

One word sums up this concept: potential. My potential is limitless just like yours. Sure I may not be more powerful than a speeding locomotive, or able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, but I have the potential to accomplish anything I set my mind to. You can too, you just need to try.

What does it mean to fulfill your potential? For each person the answer is different. For some it is lending a helping hand to those around you; for others it is just making it to the end of the day. It can be making it through the week at work, or just making it through one more hour. Regardless, it means never giving up. You might ask: “How do I know if I am doing all I can?” If you are asking this question you probably aren’t doing all you are capable of doing. You need to ask “what can I do”, not “is there something I can do”. Do you see the difference? One statement is ready for action; the other is waiting for instruction. Which one are you?

The world has experienced great catastrophes in recent years, particularly the earthquake in Haiti, and the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. These two disasters happened during what is quite possibly one of the worst economic situations the world has ever seen. I am not just talking about the economy in the USA, but in the entire world. Yet, when the call was sounded, and the cries for help heard, people all over the world parted with their substance to lift up those on the brink of death and despair. In one moment, like a light being turned on, people of the world united and did all they could do at the time. For some this was with money, for others it was prayer, but no matter the method people did what they could, and I for one am astounded by what we did. Lives were saved, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually.

Another recent example of people just doing what they can, bringing miracles not thought possible, is the recent rescue of 33 trapped miners in Chile. When the CEO of Center Rock heard on August 22, 2010 that the miners, trapped since Aug 5, would not be rescued until Christmas he took matters into his own hands. He knew he had the technology to drill faster, and to rescue those miners. His plan was labeled “Plan B”, and it succeeded in rescuing all 33 miners by October the same year. More astonishingly he returned home to Pennsylvania days before the first miner was pulled out; knowing if he stayed the spotlight would shift to him, and not the miners who would later inspire the world.  Brandon Fisher chose to do what he was capable of, and the world was astounded.

I for one feel my worst when I am living the status quo. When I am unhappy this is usually the case…and ironically it tends to happen when I burden myself with too many things to do. If you don’t have the capacity for change, you will never have the time to do what you are capable of doing. In my effort to constantly do and try new things I will end up with no free time. I literally eat up any time I have to grow and change by trying to do the things that at one time were fresh and new. I can’t do what I am capable of, because I am using my time to do those things I WAS capable of, not what I AM capable of.

This being said, when I do live up to my potential I am most satisfied.  I decided I wanted to build an add-on for my entertainment center at home. I designed it, literally making plans on my computer, calculated the supplies I would need, and built it over a weekend. At one time I opened a comic book and game retail store. It was dynamic and served a need in the community. Yes, the partnership fell apart and the business closed, but following through and opening the doors for business was in itself satisfying and astounding. The same applies for my college education, my marriage, or even the birth of my children. Nothing astounds me more than listening to my son as he explains concepts and his view and knowledge of the world, and he is only six! He is fulfilling his potential.

It was Thomas Edison who said: “If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.” He is the epitome of ingenuity, tenacity, and never, ever giving up. He knew the potential of the human race, and so do I. There is nothing we can’t accomplish when we focus on what we CAN do, not what we can’t. And that is what I am thinking about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment